Ongoing research in the medical field is important to identify new health conditions, diseases, and treatment approaches. This research often involves interviews, patient interactions, lectures, conferences, seminars and other audio recordings that need to be transcribed. Busy researchers and organizations prefer outsourcing medical transcription to reliable vendors to speed up the transcription process. Accuracy is an important element when it comes to transcribing neurology reports. Neurology is a medical specialty where a number of research projects are going on, with increasing incidence of neurological disorders such as dementia. Alongside research, new terminologies, techniques and studies emerge all of which require error-free documentation. Medical transcription companies play a significant role in this regard providing neurology transcription for physicians and researchers involved in numerous projects.
Researches tracking Alzheimer’s are important contributions in Neurology. One such significant project was undertaken by Professor Carol Brayne from the Cambridge Institute of Public Health and she published the study last year. Her finding was that better education and standards of living may minimize the chances of developing dementia. According to her, dementia is not a single disease; rather, it is a group of changes in a person’s brain with many underlying causes. By the time people are in their eighties or nineties, they have some of these changes in their brains irrespective of whether they do or do not develop dementia. Professor Brayne’s research revealed that a radical approach to tackling brain health throughout a person’s lifetime was necessary – these approaches would include social and lifestyle changes as well as focus on early therapeutic approaches to preventing or treating the disease through a pharmaceutical approach.
Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia.
- Since trial participants are typically patients with advanced stage disease and have already lost a significant number of nerve cells, clinical trials of drugs for this condition are difficult.
- However, some prominent researchers believe that a basic lack of understanding of the mechanisms that lead to Alzheimer’s is mainly responsible for the failure of the trials.
- Though researchers and healthcare providers know that abnormal protein aggregation is responsible for Alzheimer’s disease, they are unsure about the mechanisms by which this leads to degeneration of the nerves. They believe therefore that prevention is much more important in this case and thereby try to halt the disease.
- Another challenge is that there is no sure way of identifying people who are at risk of developing this disease.
- Leading researchers believe that to treat this condition, they may have to use combination therapies such as those used to treat other diseases such as HIV – i.e. use a combination of drugs, each drug aimed at treating a particular aspect of the disease.
- If the onset of Alzheimer’s can be delayed by at least 3 to 5 years, it would be really transformative and considerably reduce the number of people developing this disease.
It is easy to understand how in researches such as the above medical transcriptionists provided by a medical transcription company can play a significant role as documentation specialists and editors. They have a deep understanding of dictated medical language and terminology and can respond effectively to the specific and specialized neurology transcription needs. With timely and accurate documentation provided for all research processes, researchers can publish their studies and also make sure that new modes of treatment are introduced to ensure better care and well-being of patients.