Physicians’ notes interpreted wrongly can be a source of some great laughs
Errors in medical transcription can occur due to any of various reasons. They can occur due to poor audio, background noise, difficulty in understanding the heavy accent of the physician, tiredness, boredom or maybe even incompetence of the transcriptionist.
The errors can be so serious as to alter the meaning of a word and even lead to possibly dangerous consequences. On the other hand, the sight of some errors just can’t keep the reader from laughing. The following are some examples.
- Exam of genitalia reveals that he is circus sized
- The wound is doing fine, without complaints
- This is her first period since vaginal delivery of a three month old baby
- On the second day the knee was better, and on the third day it disappeared completely
- She is numb from her toes down
- She stated that she had been constipated for most of her life until 1989 when she got a divorce
- Social history reveals this 1 year old patient does not smoke or drink and is presently unemployed
- The skin was moist and dry
- The baby was delivered, the cord clamped and cut and handed to the pediatrician, who breathed and cried immediately
Outsource to Eliminate Errors
Errors don’t have to be so bad as these. They can be minor but still errors no doubt. If you want to reduce or eliminate the errors in your in-house transcription, a good option to consider would be outsourcing. Then you can be assured of 99 percent accuracy consistently as long as you have chosen a reputable and capable medical transcription company.